I know some people (non-drinkers) might not be thinking this is all a good thing but much of the product is for export and so is further enhancing our already strong trade surplus – the only UK region with one.
According to Insider:
- The number of breweries in Scotland doubled in six years
- There are 115 breweries and 190 distilleries –
- The highest concentration is in Edinburgh and the Highlands
- They were situated in 21 of Scotland’s 32 local authorities.
- The breweries alone employed 950 people, a 64 per cent increase since 2011.
In addition, Insider pointed out:
‘Over the past seven years food and drink start-ups in Scotland have had a higher survival rate and have grown at a faster rate than in the rest of the UK, as well as contributing £1.2bn worth of exports to the Scottish economy in the first three months of 2017.’