Forth Valley Royal Hospital’s Ageing and Health Integrated Care Ward Commended

After an inspection unannounced in November 2016, the report was published on 15th February 2017 by the independent inspection body Health Care Improvement Scotland. The report contains a great deal of very good news and re-assurance for us. Very minor improvements are still sought but none of these was significant in the context of the horrific reports emerging last year from private health care homes in England. Remember, hospital care involves thousands of patients and staff and a multitude of rooms and equipment so is infinitely improvable. It’s always possible to find something to suggest that could be improved. If you’ve worked in a workplace such as a school or a factory which was inspected unannounced, you’ll know that such an inspection will always find something. If the inspectors can find nothing they feel they’ve failed.

Forth Valley Royal Hospital: Older people in acute hospitals unannounced inspection

See these comments:

The majority of patients praised the care that they had received.

The ageing and health integrated care ward should be commended for the work it is undertaking in working with patients who have a cognitive impairment.

Interactions are positive between staff and patients, and assistance is provided in a timely manner.

There is good flexibility in providing alternative or additional meals. There is also a good range of snacks and fluids available.

During our inspection, despite being busy, wards appeared calm and organised.

All the suggestions for improvement were about documentation. I’m not saying documentation is unimportant but if the staff are really busy and achieving all the fine things listed above, I’d be really pleased. We’ve all seen the secret videos of privately-owned care homes in England to know that far worse things can and did happen than documents not being up-to-date.

8 thoughts on “Forth Valley Royal Hospital’s Ageing and Health Integrated Care Ward Commended

1. Clydebuilt February 20, 2017 / 8:48 am

Apologies O / T. Call Kaye …… Where do you get your news. Who do you trust
    This morning……. Be there or B square

2. Contrary February 20, 2017 / 9:15 am

Urgh, thank you , Clydebuilt, I hadn’t steeled myself for that one & because I’m running late (perpetually) I will end up listening to it. The whole thing about fake news and alternative facts seems to be being used by the BBC to build up their reputation for delivering trustworthy reports, and debunking internet sources as unreliable. Sounds like a PR exercise to me, but I also suspect it is part of their frenzied better together strategy – if you have no evidence to support your own views, make sure you can ridicule everyone else’s views.

Along with the tightening of Internet security, our content will soon be controlled, and along with the freedom the uk government now has with surveillance, I suspect that there will be a danger of some website resources will be debunked and hard to find and/or monitored. How far it will be taken when things start revving up for independence campaigning, who knows. I feel that all these factors are groundwork for a wider strategy, but perhaps I am just edging onto paranoia?

• Hugh Wallace February 20, 2017 / 10:11 am

Just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you…

• Contrary February 20, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Exactly! 🙂

3. Finnmacollie February 20, 2017 / 4:53 pm

Well done to Forth Valley Health Board. I’m sure the majority of Scottish NHS establishments perform their day to day work in a similar caring and professional manner and we only hear about ridiculously high targets that are missed. No doubt the opposition will commend this fine report at FMQ’s.

Re the Kaywianee programme – I was washing my hair.

• Clydebuilt February 20, 2017 / 6:56 pm

That’s a coincidence ….. I was washing the brainwashing soap suds out of my ears……. There was lots of them….

4. Contrary February 20, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Ach well, the bits of the phone-in that I caught were fairly mild-mannered, boring even. Except for the cracker of a bloke that phoned in and started talking about the BBC and mentioned the word ‘bias’. Kaye was doing her intermittent ‘mmm’s quietly as he launched into his indecipherable spiel, obviously with her finger poised over the cut-off switch (the ‘oops we have lost that caller switch’). Turned out that he thought the BBC was biased TOWARDS independence because the last Question Time had a majority pro-independence panel, but he admitted that it must be sooooo difficult for the BBC to get balance. Sigh, that was so entertaining. He turned out to be popular, and got a fair amount of air-time – can’t remember the rest, something about the media needing to be more critical of the SNP or something.

There was a teacher that phoned in to say she was shocked to find out that all her teenage pupils only ever read the Sun and they believe every word. I was quite shocked at that. But, she kept repeating that they never even watch the telly,,, I eventually caught on that she considered tv as a more trustworthy source of news. Well. There ye go, it takes all sorts.

And there was an older lady that called in to say she got her news from the radio. Gosh, there is a surprise, I thought (it being a radio phone-in). Big long pause, though, when she was asked if she thought it trustworthy, then a hasty yes! Of course!

Bet you are all sorry you missed Callkaye now,,,