scitelectorate.png

Watching Yes/No: Inside the Indyref episode one, 37 minutes in, I was struck by this:

Douglas Alexander:

alexander.png

‘Critically what Andrew’s research revealed was that middle voters were not equidistant between No and Yes.’

Andrew Cooper, PM David Cameron’s Chief Adviser:

andrew.png

‘They weren’t willing to say yes to independence, but their hearts were very close to it. More than three-quarters of them said that their feeling about the referendum was summed up by the phrase: ‘My heart says I want independence for Scotland, but my head says it may be too risky.’

‘And we concluded that with the time and resources we had available the central thrust of the campaign strategy had to be to focus on the risks because it was only those risks that were stopping them from being Yes voters.’

Alistair Darling:

darling.png

‘I was very clear that the economic argument was their Achilles heel.’

So, right at the start, the No campaign was to take the low road, negative, fear-based, heartless:

hearts.png

Like most of you, I knew this, but I hadn’t heard those leading the No campaign admit so openly, yet untroubled, that they had conspired to rob the majority of what they wanted in their hearts.

What they revealed, by their words and by their calm demeanour, lacking even a trace of embarrassment never mind shame, is the cold psychopathic nature of their minds – self-centred, entitled, superior, callous – let me never meet any of them. I used to box, as recently as 1964.

14 thoughts on “How the warm-blooded majority who wanted independence in their hearts were beaten by the cold calculations of the psychopath

1. William Henderson March 8, 2019 / 9:28 am

Yet another example of low, reptilian, sociopathic cunning to add to the textbooks?

Not being a user of swearwords is making life difficult for me at present. 😦

• William Henderson March 8, 2019 / 6:21 pm

Not even for you, John.

Swearing is a sign of weakness and betrays insecurity.

• Contrary March 8, 2019 / 9:10 pm

I’ve always seen swearing as being lazy, you can express yourself far better by using other words, and structuring what you want to say. Unfortunately I can be very lazy, or tired, quite often. But I usually confine myself to swearing at the computer, a productive activity, rather than at people.

Weakness and insecurity – I have never considered those aspects – but could very well be true, I feel very weak and insecure around computers,,,

2. diabloandco March 8, 2019 / 11:00 am

Chills down my spine reading that. If their actions taught me one thing it is a dreadful thing – to hate. I loathe them with every fibre of my being and wish all the evils in the world on them.

3. gavin March 8, 2019 / 12:12 pm

I read shortly after the referendum, that research by Edinburgh Uni had confirmed that a majority of Scots who voted, voted for independence. The result was slewed by residents of Scotland from rUK and the EU—who quite rightly had the vote.

It may be that some people from other parts of the UK would never, ever, vote for Scottish self government: that EU citizens had been convinced (ironically) that Scotland would be thrown out of the EU if we voted YES.

The first tract will probably remain the same, but the second should now swing behind independence. First we have to get a referendum, or my preference….do what Maggie Thatcher told Scots to do if they wanted independence–elect a majority of pro-independence Scottish MPs with that commitment in their manifesto.

• Penguin. March 8, 2019 / 1:22 pm

Immigrants who have no commitment to Scotland have no right to have a vote. Cretins who put virtue signalling above democracy need to be stopped. Every other country on Earth has a minimum requirement before allowing you to vote. Normally several years residency or taking citizenship. But our PC Woke brigade decided that we’d allow anybody a say in preventing independence. The St Andrews Yahs who pollute Scotland for 4 terms before buggering off or the english holiday home owners who are helping exterminate the natives throughout the highlands. They had a vote. Why?

Scots voted Yes but our colonial overlords planted enough of their loyalists to overturn our rights. Anybody who defends this doesn’t really want to live in a real country.

4. Iain March 8, 2019 / 2:08 pm

I found the people on the British nationalist side to be all very similar in views and background (with the exception of the Better Together boss MacDougal). They all seemed to be from the supercilious, middle/upper class, private school, small-town-big-fish, splendid accent type associated with the Conservative Party. That some of them were functionaries in the Labour Party only went to show that the sooner that dreadful outfit departs the scene the better.

5. Angry Weegie March 8, 2019 / 5:39 pm

Is there (should there be) a difference between those from outside Scotland now resident here and those with second homes who are resident elsewhere, but who may have registered here, perhaps as well as elsewhere? Are second home owners a particular problem? I wonder how many there are.

• Contrary March 8, 2019 / 7:50 pm

I think that was brought up as an issue – I don’t know how valid (as in how many there were) – definitely voting should be limited to tax payers, that is, your ‘normal country of residence’ that you pay income tax in (or would, if you meet the threshold) – you shouldn’t really be allowed to vote just if you have a second home in Scotland & stuff like that?

• Angry Weegie March 9, 2019 / 11:15 am

It’s illegal to register to vote in more than one place, but I remember in 2014 No supporters living in England who had relatives in Scotland being advised to register to vote at their relatives’ address so they could vote. Presumably, it’s difficult, or maybe impossible, to know if folk register at more than one address in different areas.

6. Terence callachan March 8, 2019 / 10:12 pm

Well said penguin.
    I have said the same,often,for my troubles ,banned from wingsoverscotland and weegingerdug.
    I have friends Italian and German who came here to study and stayed to work for our universities and nhs then voted NO in the Scottish independence referendum and after that left Scotland and went to work overseas,they will probably never return to live in Scotland and yet they had a say in the very future and fabric of our country,it’s just wrong to allow anyone who happens to be here at the time or is passing through ,A VOTE.
    No other country in the world does that.
    Every country in the world has rules about who can vote and they usually require you to have citizenship of their country or been born there or have a parent that was born there.
    England don’t allow people to vote in elections just because they happen to be in England at the time .
    Why is Scotland doing this, who decided this, it was a poor decision and needs to be changed otherwise we will always have so many English people in Scotland that they account for a large percentage of the vote and that is undemocratic.