Talking-up Scotland beaten by a wee dug!

Inspired by a similar survey, a month or two ago, by Indyref2, to find Scotland’s most popular political blog with a particular interest in Scottish issues, in the independence debate and in media coverage, I’ve done a similar thing using the same Website Traffic Estimator by TrafficEstimate.com. Here are the results for the last 30 days, finishing 18Th September 2018, at 16:00:

Name                                                  Estimated Monthly Traffic (unique visits)

1.      Wings Over Scotland                     218 700

2.      Wee Ginger Dug                             92 100

3.      Common Space                              87 700

4.      SCOT goes POP!                            78 000

5.      Talking-up Scotland                    70 200

6.      Bella Caledonia                            55 400

7.      Random Public Journal             52 700

8.      The Ferret                                     45 300

9.      Indyref2                                        43 700

10.  Newsnet.scot                                 Not enough data to estimate

11.  Caltonjock                                     Not enough data to estimate

12.  Lallands Peat Worrier              Not enough data to estimate

13.  Gerry Hassan                              Not enough data to estimate

14.  Scotland in Union                       Not enough data to estimate

I’m sorry if I’ve missed someone. I know how it feels as I had to remind Indyref2 of my existence and then came 5th out of 9!

Despite coming 5th again, my claim to be the best pound-for-pound blogger, despite having lost two stones recently, despite operating entirely on my own and proof-reader free, despite being 67, arthritic and prostatic, lies in tatters. A wee dug, a teeny fraction of my 12 stones is more popular by some way.

I haven’t included the very popular, ex-ambassador, Craig Murray’s blog, because it’s not that often about Scottish politics. I do, however, strongly recommend it:

Despite the above removal, it is still difficult to meaningfully compare some of these blogs. For example, I post a lot of reports and some are quite short, labour-not-intensive pieces, passing on good news, while Indyref2 and Bella only do longer, more thoughtful pieces.

Finally, Stu, the Rev, the Wings guy, the clear ‘Champione’ by miles, would have been excluded by at least two of the other bloggers for having, let’s say, a sharp tongue in his head but I insist on retaining him.

I’m known for having the happy combination of a dirty sense of humour and no filter. Have I told the one about the woman and her Schnauzer? Later. So, I laugh loud and often at Stu’s Blackadder-plus descriptions of deserving folk like Murdo Fraser, Annie Wells, Ross Thompson, Jackson Carlaw, Kezia Dugdale, Dick Leonard, Willie Rennie, Ian Little……there are more.

One of my favourites:

‘There’s not much going on in Scottish politics at the moment, but you know that when the media resorts to printing stuff from echo-skulled Tory mousewit Annie Wells, there can’t even have been any barrel left to scrape.’

‘Echo-skulled Tory mousewit’, I love it. Where can I use it?

Seriously, Stu with his massively popular blog and publications like the Wee Blue Book, has almost certainly raised more support for the Yes campaign than any of the rest of us…Fuckin’ right he has, OK!!!??? Don’t make me angry! I’ve still got a punch! I boxed as recently as 1963. Watch this…..oooooh…..I’ve pulled something….get a nurse.

The answer to my headline question might well have been yes if it hadn’t been for that wee ginger bugger.

To conclude on a serious note, I’d like to thank all my readers, my mum, Noam Chomsky and…..now who was it?……………oh yes, Aggie the Border Terrier………there’s someone else……don’t tell me…………I have it………….my current wife.

27 thoughts on “Talking-up Scotland beaten by a wee dug!

1. Bryan Weir September 18, 2018 / 4:29 pm

There’s no doubting the Rev Stu’s value to the movement but he’s definitely not the type of person I would want for a mate.

He is unnecessarily insulting and abusive in his interactions on social media and he seems to take great pride in ridiculing and abusing those who disagree with him – a boorish bully if you like and in my opinion there is no need for it.

He’s clearly a smart cookie and he does some immense work but it is often cheapened and devalued by his behaviour.

I disagreed with something he said on Twitter and he blocked me. We’re on the same side and I have contributed to his crowdfunders and he blocked me FFS!

2. John September 18, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Your research outweighs them all John , you will be moving up the pecking order I am sure . To do it all yourself requires a great deal of disipline and is most appreciated . Well done , keep puting the record straight as well as telling us the good news we would not hear elsewhere.

3. Contrary September 18, 2018 / 5:57 pm

“My current wife” ,,, you are in SO MUCH trouble now!

Men. Pah.

I guess Rev Stu is a divisive figure eh, just like,,, well, everyone (mind our brief to-do on ‘divisive’ John??). I personally like his bold, sometimes tawdry, attitude, sometime cringeworthy, he’s got Teflon skin and sticks to his own principles. You said something,,, NICE about him in a recent article, I remember forgetting to comment, as it was such an unusual occurrence. Got me thinking, even people with Teflon skin need some pleasantries sent their way on occasion. Really, I just admire his blog, in the main part it is wholly professional.

You know, I’m not sure I’ve ever read bella Caledonia, except maybe second hand. Doesn’t appeal, but that’s it isn’t it, we are a diverse (or is that divisive?) group, and everyone has their own tastes.

Craig has been rubbish on Scottish stuff for ages, and his following don’t have a scooby about Scotland or its politics (except for a few scots there – don’t dare use the word Scot if you comment either, you’ll get some weirdo exposition on how it doesn’t mean Scottish person,,, hmm). But his blog is excellent for keeping up to date with other stuff!

Is SIU thrown in there as a test we are paying attention? ,,, or assessment maybe??

• Contrary September 18, 2018 / 6:02 pm

On P1 ‘testing’

A parent on curriculum for excellence

As a non-parent I found that piece really useful for understand how much the kids aren’t tested, but I also understand why teachers are moaning about the work they have now! It does sound excellent to my mind.

And though the dug writes some really good stuff, I do find myself drifting off half way through some of his wax lyricals – but, hey, who am I to criticise 🙂

• johnrobertson834 September 18, 2018 / 7:38 pm

I’m always in trouble. We had a to-do? I’d be having one my moments. Ignore me.

I think of Stu in footballing terms. He’s our Duncan Ferguson.

• Contrary September 19, 2018 / 6:06 am

Welllll, when I say to-do,,,, I said something like everyone is divisive, and you said, that’s interesting. I might have conflated to add a bit more drama.

Footballing terms do not help me understand anything.

• Contrary September 19, 2018 / 6:08 am

Hey, my P1 testing comment needs moderated! Weird, it looks like a normal link.

4. Hugh Wallace September 18, 2018 / 7:00 pm

John, if it is any consolation, yours is always the third blog I read on a daily basis after Wings & The Dug. Partly that’s due to the reverse alphabetical order I organise my Indy bloggers in but mostly it is because your content is so highly informative & interesting. Bella doesn’t even get a look in.

And as for those I’d want to have a pint with, you are near enough top of the list. Craig Murray might just edge you out & I’d love to chat with Jason McCann but I highly suspect I’d enjoy setting the world to rights with you most. So, how about it, Big Man? I’m just up the road in Renfrewshire. 😎

5. johnrobertson834 September 18, 2018 / 7:43 pm

Hugh, third and second? You know how to charm.

I could do a midday coffee or pint most days.

Could you come to Ayr?

6. gavin September 18, 2018 / 7:55 pm

John, you have a great, wide ranging blog, the equal of any. Accurate, well researched and dependable.
    When (soon, Lord, soon!) I win the lottery, I will fund you a staff, freeing you up for a pint and a wee hauf in your favourite howf— I’ll be on the bell.

“It is the quality of our work which will please God, not the quantity”—Mahatma Gandhi.

7. johnrobertson834 September 18, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Thanks Gavin. A Gandhi quote, wow! As for staff, thanks but no thanks. I’m flying solo from now on doing what I want to do.

8. Stuart Mcnicoll September 18, 2018 / 8:40 pm

Actually, you would be number 2 on the list, if the list was only about demolishing Britnat drivel and propaganda. Personally I’m just fine with your style of short, sharp, fact driven shredding of media content. It’s easy to remember and easy to source if you need to check something. The humour is a bonus.
    Hugo Theirry( excuse the spelling) and other contributors to the comment section are also well worth reading. Big thumbs up from me.

• johnrobertson834 September 19, 2018 / 5:43 am

Thanks and good point about other contributors. They really add something.

9. mogabee September 18, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Nice work prof. I expect you are quite chuffed with your position and I like your bloggy humour!

Stu has a style that folk like, I do and have followed him since only a few months after he started. Wee dug also gives good craic and if you slip him a nic wee gravy bone he’ll lick yer hand…HAND I said😁

Anyway, must dash, blogs to read…

10. caltonjock September 19, 2018 / 3:32 am

John, I averaged around 20,000 hits monthly over the last three complete years. I am nearly 80 , arthritic and do my thing all on my own-some, covering Scottish and worldwide events that might be of some interest to readers of my blog. Some of my posts are long, convoluted and possibly boring, but I seek always to present facts that can be substantiated. An independent Scotland has always been my dream but it looks like I will time out before it is realized. 2014 was so disappointing, so near I could taste it.

• Contrary September 19, 2018 / 6:03 am

Nonsense, Spring chicken at 80! You just FEEL old because of the arthritis, ignore it, you’re still young, plenty time to see through the beginnings of a new start.

(Tsk, John, allowing such negativity through your filters)

• johnrobertson834 September 20, 2018 / 10:50 am

I’ll tune my filters if I can locate them.

• Kangaroo September 19, 2018 / 7:27 am

Try rose hip syrup for arthritis.