From yesterday’s Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service press release on Hate Crime in Scotland, 2017/18:
- Racial crime – 3,249 charges reported in 2017-18, 4% less than in 2016-17 – 9% less than the peak in 2011-12, lowest number reported since 2003-04.
- Sexual orientation aggravated crime – 1,112 charges reported in 2017-18, an increase of 3%.
- Aggravation of prejudice relating to disability – 284 charges reported in 2017-18 – 51% more than in 2016-17. This increase may be partially due to efforts to raise awareness of this type of crime, which is generally thought to be under reported.
- Religiously aggravated charges – 642 reported in 2017-18.
- Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications – 198 charges reported in 2017-18
However, from the above, BBC Scotland chose to headline:
Disability-related hate crime up 50%
Meanwhile in England & Wales, hate crimes based on race, increased by a massive 27% from 2015/16 to 2016/17.
So, cheap tabloid titillation, selective misrepresentation and no context?