Scottish business confidence soars above UK level as sales increase

busconf

According to latest ICAEW business confidence monitor, confidence in Scotland is now markedly higher than in the rest of the UK. Indeed, as you can see from the above chart confidence has been low for most of the last 15 months in many areas.

Over the past 12 months, export sales have grown by 3.4% and domestic sales have grown by 2.4%. In addition, profits are expected to rise 5.3% in the next year. These two factors will, in part, have lead to increased business confidence in the first quarter of 2018.  Finally, R&D budgets have risen by 3.1%, 0.7% higher than the UK average.

This report follows, and seems to confirm, two very positive earlier survey reports, from the Bank of Scotland and the CBI, in February 2018. See:

Scottish business confidence soars to three and a half-year high

Another leap in confidence for Scotland’s economy

BBC Reporting Scotland will be all over this, won’t they?

11 thoughts on “Scottish business confidence soars above UK level as sales increase

1. achmony March 6, 2018 / 5:10 pm

There is absolutely no way that the dysfunctional BBC Reporting Scotland will acknowledge this report. They are first-order turds after all.

2. Alasdair Macdonald. March 6, 2018 / 6:15 pm

It is interesting to compare this seemingly upbeat figure with the repeated pessimistic articles by Mr Michael Fry in the National.

To dispel any doubts: although my political philosophy is much to the left of Mr Fry’s I find him to be a very good writer who states his position pretty clearly and concisely. He is a pretty strong supporter of independence and I think that in an independent Scotland we will need people like him and the more centrist Mr Gordon MacIntyre Kemp to provide the kind of plurality of political views that a vibrant democracy will need. So, no nasty ad hominem attacks on Mr Fry please – not that they would particularly faze him!

• johnrobertson834 March 7, 2018 / 9:43 am

I’m still at least ambivalent about Fry, Kemp, McKenna, Common Space and the National’s editorial team to the extent that they may have the effect of a ‘Trojan Horse’ within the Yes movement. Until we get independence, we need more discipline and concentration of our fire. Sniping at the SNP can wait.

3. Ludo Thierry March 6, 2018 / 8:14 pm

I always felt Michael Fry was far too nice to sit comfortably in the tory party – especially the Forsythian Tory party that he was locking horns with. I used to read his columns way back when and felt he was generally a humorous, self-deprecating bloke – with a genuine historical view of things. I was very pleased when I heard he had joined up with the YES campaign (seriously – I had felt all those years ago that the logic of his reasoning would bring him to back Indy in time). I recall a column he did years ago when he was on the Candidates’ list and he was phoned by tory Central office and someone asked if he was ‘young’ – He replied along the lines ‘ well – young -ish, and a bit overweight – oh – and I’ve got a beard’ – unsurprisingly the phoneline went dead at the other end!

• Alasdair Macdonald. March 7, 2018 / 3:14 pm

When it comes down to it, I think there is an essential wishy0washiness about me and, perhaps, Ludo, too.

The late Scottish author, journalist, raconteur, songwriter Cliff Hanley writing of his youthful radical days once claimed that ‘the revolution will run on tea’, because the meetings of his fellow communists and youthful radicals were tea binges. So, I can see myself sitting down with Michael, Gordon, Kevin, Angela, Cat, et al with a pot of Darjeeling and a plate of buttered toasted muffins as we seek a peaceful way to the new Jerusalem.

Oh, and Ludo would be welcome, too! The muffins are on him.

4. Ludo Thierry March 7, 2018 / 12:18 pm

You’re a tough hombre John!

• johnrobertson834 March 7, 2018 / 9:59 pm

Maybe a wee bit autistic? Black and white thinking. All or nothing as the Small Faces taught me.

5. Ludo Thierry March 7, 2018 / 9:07 pm

Not surprised but slightly disappointed reading the details of Tam ‘The Bam’ Dalyell’s will in the Edinburgh evening News: see below:

Former MP Tam Dalyell leaves £3m fortune in will

Mr Dalyell, 84, passed away in January 2017 after a short illness. He left instructions for his body to be given to science for research and it was handed over to Edinburgh University. The grandfather-of-four is survived by his wife of 53 years, Kathleen, his son Gordon and daughter Moira.

His published will reveals he left an estate valued at £2,728,857.76 which he ordered to be held for his family.

His wealth included £150,000 of personal effects and a massive stocks and shares portfolio which included £276,000 in British American Tobacco, £65,000 in drinks giant Diageo, £32,000 in Tesco and £23,000 worth of shares in the Burberry clothing group.

Mr Dalyell also had a £525,000 property in London and he had a further £250,000 worth of savings held in a European bank account.

Mr Dalyell served as an MP for 43 years, first for West Lothian and later Linlithgow, retiring in 2005.

The BAT investment is disappointing – given how long tobacco has been identified as an addictive blight on Humanity’s health.

Was the £525,000 London property purchased with Parliamentary housing expenses I wonder?

The £250,000 held in a ‘European’ bank account sounds odd. I’m no forensic accountant – but my olfactory organ senses a potential ‘offshore-ing’ arrangement here. Some people I know (knew) and respected always had a soft-spot for Tam – and thought he was more ‘honourable’ than most britnats. There’s an old saying one hears from time to time about there being ‘No honour among thieves’? – Still – a bit disappointing, nonetheless.