Brighter prospects for Scottish graduates compared to those from rUK.

index

Gov.scot have just published this today:

‘New figures’ [my quotation marks] showing Scottish university graduates have brighter prospects than their UK counterparts have been welcomed by Higher Education Minister Shirley-Anne Somerville. According to the Higher Educations Statistics Agency (HESA), more than 94% of students who left a Scottish university with a first degree in 2012-13 are in work or further study. This is higher than the UK average. The analysis also shows that three and a half years after graduating, former students of Scottish universities are earning £27,500 – which is also the highest in the UK.’

I’m a bit puzzled by this release of 2012-13 figures when STV have already published the even better HESA 2015-2-16 data:

Scotland          95.2%

Wales              94.7%

N Ireland         94.4%

England           94.2%

Maybe I’m missing something but either way it’s good.

8 thoughts on “Brighter prospects for Scottish graduates compared to those from rUK.

1. Bugger (the Panda) August 10, 2017 / 5:20 pm

Let me see if I have this right, STV publish an article about statistics from 2012-2013 concerning University graduates and their progress after graduation. The figures demonstrate that graduates of Scottish Universities make better progress in engagement and employment remuneration that England, Wales and N Ireland..

However much more up to date figures, 2015-2016 are available, having just been released, which show the main Scottish performance indicator has further advanced.

Has STV outsourced their web news services to homemade anti-SNP Artificial Intelligence Bot?

2. Contrary August 10, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Panda, you may have got the articles mixed up, it seems to be STV that has reported the more up-to-date figures. It is odd indeed that Scot.gov would give old ones, unless it is so they can give better earning figures too? I wonder if the reason is deep down in the HESA stats? And I note we have reached my personal achievement threshold of 95% for last year’s graduates!

STV, even more bizarrely, mention the 2011 stats of 90%-ish. Just in case we get too big for our boots, or to show what a huge improvement there has been since the SNP have been in government?

• Bugger (the Panda) August 11, 2017 / 9:05 am

Maybe as I didn’t read the STV article and followed on from and SNP tweet from Christina McKelvie

• Bugger (the Panda) August 11, 2017 / 9:11 am

The SNP one refers to the position and salaries of people who graduated 3 to 3.5 years ago as being in superior position vis salaries.

The SNP one seems a bit jumbled about

3. Ludo Thierry August 10, 2017 / 9:32 pm

Hi John – Hi all – Apologies for joining the feast so late tonight! – It is a veritable feast John, you have been searching out a remarkable variety of stories to show us all that Scotland ain’t quite as bad as the beeb would like us to believe.

Re. your football related article – I’m pretty positive that the Chinese TV deal you mention was initially brokered during a visit Alex Salmond made to China – and the row that the ‘Scottish media’ kicked up about that visit was wondrous to behold. Now we are still seeing benefits unfold years down the line.

Also good to see the contract signed today for Peterhead Harbour to host the enormous floating crane to be used in the offshore windfarm project that Vatenfall (apologies – spelling looks dodgy) are starting to progress in earnest.(The Donald will be pleased I’m sure). Note from me to a certain element of the electors of Peterhead and district: “This stuff doesn’t happen by accident you realise? – a surprising degree of joined-up and grown-up SNP Scottish Govt activity has gone into helping these vast projects come into being. Good luck if you believe that your brand new shiny Tory Westminster MP and Tory/Ind/Lib council have any intentions of putting in the kind of leg-work required to deliver such world-class projects. Please think on this next time you get the opportunity to cast your votes.”

Good to see a UK anti-fracking organisation spokesperson (Penny Cole of Broad Alliance) actually offer some credit to the SNP Scottish Govt for organising the website ‘Talking Fracking’. This info providing website has helped generate 60,000 responses to the SNP Scottish Govt consultation on fracking (which is, I understand, the 2nd largest response to a consultation yet achieved – Democracy in action or SNP Baad? – you choose).

Also good to see the report for the UK charity ‘Crisis’ (prepared by Herriot Watt University) recognising that Scotland is Different. Some very positive comments made regarding SNP Scottish Govt promotion of and investment in Social and affordable housing.The report informs that what is called ‘Core Homelessness’ has fallen in Scotland over the last 5 years – which is very much a different picture from rUK.

Also noted a wee piece on the Edinburgh Festival being reckoned to have generated £313M for the Scottish economy in 2015. This representing a 24% increase from the 2010 figure (by my reckoning this has somehow been achieved during a period of SNP baad Scottish Govt. Can only imagine that the Jackie Bird theory of these good things happening “..in spite of..” the SNP Scottish Govt must be at play again. (Lord knows this latest ‘theory’ from the Better Together crew will get some airplay between now and Indy!)

John – you asked whether I believed the interesting legal moves being undertaken by RBS (establishing a subsidiary under the Adam and Co licence to hold their Scottish business – both individual and Commercial accounts). I do believe it is an advance preparation for either Indy or – as Contrary suggests – Fiscal Autonomy. My rationale? – This bank is in recovery mode – It doesn’t need to do this extra layer of ‘seperation’ for it’s Scottish business under the legislation or banking regulations. RBS are ‘choosing’ to use the required changes to prepare ‘special’ changes for their Scottish business which will be costing plenty of hard cash right now. They aren’t doing that for fun. This is hard-headed business preparation for Indy at work.

PS – I’m sure you saw the WoS article re. HMRC reallocating oil and gas (mineral) revenues that previously were allocated to the Ex Regio territory now being – by magic – part of the Scottish territory again? WoS directs us to a website I was previously unaware of called Scotfact. It looks like a really helpful resource for future reference. I noticed Scotfact is preparing currently an article re. Whisky industry and associated revenues (and how Scotland is included – or not). I will certainly be looking out for that bit of work when it arrives.

Thanks all, Ludo

• johnrobertson834 August 11, 2017 / 9:00 am

Thanks for all this Ludo. You add so much to my starter. Habermas would be greetin.

4. Contrary August 11, 2017 / 7:26 am

Thank you Ludo for your ‘Soundbite News from a Successful Scotland’ [I’m trying to come up with interesting headings that you could use for your new blog 🙂 ,,, obviously, it’s not a skill set I possess – ref. my pseudonym – but contrary to popular belief, I can sometimes inspire others onto new innovative thinking. Really, honestly.]

I hadn’t checked out the WoS article on the new way of calculating oil export monies, I nearly choked and still have my eyebrows raised in shock at the difference their (HRMC) ‘methodology’ makes to how much revenue Scotland generates. It raises many many questions, why make out it was worth very little before is easy – it was a purposeful tactic (though shocking by how much the numbers change, from a few million, to a few billion) to convince those people that believed oil was our only asset and that was all that mattered, that we would be doomed if independent. We can see very plainly here that oil is only a part of Scotland’s potential successes, which can only be enhanced with independence. But why change methodology now? Why show these figures now? So the rUK can smugly look down at us declaring, look at how well we’ve screwed you over? I doubt it’s anything so simple. I need to read the article on Scotfact I think!

• johnrobertson834 August 11, 2017 / 9:01 am

Yes, the WoS revelation was astounding not to mention infuriating.