Lessons from America: Don’t get too cosy eh?

salmondheels

Images: dailymail.co.uk, itv.com

What should the SNP leadership learn from what just happened in America? Two things:

1. Power corrupts but more commonly it just seduces. Sturgeon, Salmond, Robertson and others are, by UK standards, not corrupt and are fine representatives of the people. They’re honest and hold quite closely to values such as justice and equality. We’re kind of lucky to have them but things have been slipping recently. They’re looking just a bit too cosy there in Holyrood and in Westminster, on Question Time, on Newsnight, on Have I got News for You and in newspaper columns and a wee bit less like their voters back here. The images are getting a bit corporate, the style a bit presidential and the policies are drifting toward the centre and away from the broadly leftist dominance of the wider Yes movement. Dare I say it, the Unionist media seem to like and to respect Sturgeon much more than they did Salmond and that worries me. So, it’s time to pull back a bit from the deadly embrace of the UK’s political, media and cultural elites. As in Brexit and as with Trump, victory requires the support of the unlettered (nae qualies but no daft) working-class so don’t lose touch with them or even just appear to be doing so.
  2. It’s not all about gender. Sturgeon’s appalling blunder in expressing support for the war criminal but female, Hillary Clinton, is sadly indicative. Salmond’s rush to support his wee lassie and in so doing utterly contradict his former opposition to the war policies of the Bush, Blair, Clinton gang was plain stupid. Here’s what Nicola said about supporting Clinton: ‘Above and beyond that though, I’m standing here as the first woman to hold the office of first minister and I think it would be great to see the world’s biggest democracy elect the first woman leader.’

Isn’t India the world’s biggest democracy? Anyhow…..

Given what we know about Clinton’s bellicosity, corruption and greed, was Sturgeon saying that none of that matters because she is a woman? She said Clinton was ‘not perfect!’ That’ll be first prize for euphemisms then? Hitler loved his dugs? I genuinely thought Sturgeon would make the best SNP leader regardless of her gender so it’s time she stopped going on about being ‘the first woman to hold the office of first minister’. Just repeating that formal phrase suggests she might be a bit full of herself. We know. We’ve heard about it. It was two years ago. Stop banging on. Anyway, she needs to remember that she was handed the leadership in 2014 unopposed. She needs also to remember that support for independence grew dramatically from around 25% to 45% before her promotion and, despite Tory austerity and Brexit, has grown little since then.

Oh so I’m a Trump supporter eh? Just, just…away and…..see:

14 thoughts on “Lessons from America: Don’t get too cosy eh?

1. Bryan Weir November 9, 2016 / 2:49 pm

So … are you happy that Trump has been elected as the leader of the most powerful nation on earth John?

• johnrobertson834 November 10, 2016 / 7:55 am

No, I’m not happy. Do I look like i’m happy? Some people keep asking me dumb questions on purpose. He’s awful and the sixth worst choice after Hillary, Obama, Dick Chaney, George Bush, Tony Blair, all of Bush’s other chums, his (Trump’s) own sons, you. Is that more than six? Oh, yes, he’s awful but less bad than Putin (born in Georgia so fine), Hitler, Mussolini, Thatcher, John McTernan, you again and me. I’d be a vicious bastard ethnically cleansing anyone who doesn’t like jazz.

2. johnrobertson834 November 9, 2016 / 7:12 pm

Trump’s homophobia, misogyny and racism condemned justifiably while Clinton’s bloody war crimes are ignored by our political elites and media.

• Bryan Weir November 9, 2016 / 10:03 pm

Sadly that’s the way things are John but no fear. They did elect the smartest person. 😉

• johnrobertson834 November 10, 2016 / 7:46 am

No, I think Hillary has far more qualifications than Donald. Does he he even have one of those MBAs they give out like sweeties from the University of West Appalachia? Really I should be FM with my PhD, MEd, 2 PGDips, 2PGCerts and Cycling Proficiency Badge……and sensible shoes……and obvious proof of goodness caring for a disabled dug….not just a fit wee ginger terrierist…..

• Bryan Weir November 10, 2016 / 9:00 am

Your qualifications make my City and Guilds Electrical, HNC and my single “O” grade (Spanish) pale into insignificance.

But seriously, I do take your point about Clinton. At least we have got rid of that dynasty but, leaving her out of it for a moment, my problem is that Trump is undoubtedly all of the bad things both you and I suggest.

It is very likely that he is a serial sex offender. He is certainly a self-confessed molester of women and a pussy grabber, a self-centred oaf with a low intellect and every time he opens his mouth he confirms this. Despite this, almost half of US voters see him as being acceptable and indeed they enthuse about his qualities and ability to lead their country. That has to be a serious concern for the rest of the World.

¡Cuidado!

(I am not a big TV fan but I recently watched the full boxed set of House of Cards. It was too near the truth for comfort. I recommend it.)

3. James Ross November 9, 2016 / 9:36 pm

Valid points and our Party hierarchy should reflect on them

• johnrobertson834 November 10, 2016 / 7:48 am

Thanks James assuming you’re being straight with me unlike the wicked Brian (spelled that way to annoy)

• Bryan Weir November 10, 2016 / 8:36 am

I will be 68 a week come Tuesday and I have had my name spelled wrong all my days. It no longer annoys me Jon. 😉

• Dunphail November 10, 2016 / 9:27 am

Completely straight. The better of two evils approach they appear to have taken is never good tactics when you have the cold calculating malevolence of the Clintons against the factious braggart that is Donald. Alarm bells should have been ringing when Kez jetted off to support Hilary given her success rate in that department.

• johnrobertson834 November 10, 2016 / 9:54 am

Thanks
        I can’t help feeling a wee bit fond of Kez. Maybe it’s because I’m an old dad? And she reminds me of a confuse, anxious but well-meaning undergrad?

4. johnrobertson834 November 10, 2016 / 9:19 am

OK Brain, you have seniority. A mere 65 and a half. You were born in the 40s! That’s history man as we used to say in the 60s when I was still a teenager.