NHS Scotland’s steadily improving home care strategy for last days

stayhom.png

https://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Health-and-Social-Community-Care/Publications/2019-05-28/2019-05-28-End-of-Life-Summary.pdf

Many patients want to spend their last days at home with their families and friends. Scottish Government strategies are increasingly making that possible. From ISD today:

  • In 2018/19, there were 53,168 deaths in Scotland excluding those where an external cause such as unintentional injury was recorded. For these individuals, 89.2% of their last six months of life was spent either at home or in a community setting, with the remaining 10.8% spent in hospital. This is equivalent to an average of 20 days in hospital in the six months prior to death.
  • Over the past nine years, the percentage of time spent at home or in a community setting has gradually increased from 85.3% in 2010/11 to 89.2% in 2018/19.

https://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Health-and-Social-Community-Care/Publications/2019-05-28/2019-05-28-End-of-Life-Summary.pdf

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s