I’m 67 and since I turned 50, I’ve been struggling with four problems – joint pain, acid reflux, sleep apnea and benign prostatis. Sleeping badly and tired all day, I sought help in drugs, surgery and machines. I got some relief but almost always paid a price of some kind.

I was overweight, 5′ 10″ and over 14 stones. One GP did suggest losing a bit of weight would help but it seemed easier to try the drugs, the surgery and the machines.

Nearly two years ago, for different reasons, I began to lose weight and noticed the joint pain fade a bit. Then the acid reflux stopped completely. Months later, as my neck thinned, the sleep apnoea seemed to disappear. Only weeks ago, I noticed my nights becoming less interrupted by the many visits to the loo for a pee. I did a quick internet search and found weight reduction one of the best ‘alternative’ remedies for an inflamed prostate gland.

I’m 12 stones now and plan to get down to around 11 though I seem to be stuck for the moment at 12.

For an ex-professor, I’ve been a damned slow learner.

I write this just in case even one of you, or someone you know, might get something out of reading it.

The diet I’ve adopted is here:

The Robertson Diet with Limited Thought Control Required

Best wishes

Dr John the Less-often Night Tripper

9 thoughts on “A lesson hard-learned should be shared? If you’re young, healthy and after politics here, you might prefer to move on

1. Michael Brown September 19, 2018 / 8:21 pm

I am 64 and decided to lost weight the same time as my wife decided to lose weight. I was 13+st now just over 11st. Blood pressure wasn’t really high but has lowered also cholesterol fine. Acid reflux and heartburn all gone! Done a wellman clinic test and everything fine. Had to buy new breeks though!!! Would definitely recommend the weight loss to anyone. Anyway well done you 😀

• johnrobertson834 September 20, 2018 / 5:43 am

Thanks and well done you two too!

I’ve had the breeks costs to meet too.

2. Ron Murray September 20, 2018 / 7:14 am

Dr John, just a small note to say how much I like your posts, keeping our spirits up counteracting our daily dose of nomedia from the mainstream, keep it up!
    Ron Murray

3. asainteach September 20, 2018 / 8:03 am

Well done on your weight loss. You may like to read this book to help with that last stone “Always Hungry” by Dr. David Ludwig. I normally avoid diet books as they’re mostly written by quacks but this one is really interesting, a wee bit academic at times for me but will be no problem for you. He’s also a professor (at Harvard) as well as a practicing endocrinologist and has had some great results with his research. I’ve also lost 2 stone, have bad hips, had sleep apnoea and reflux, all much better now, still have 2 stone more to lose which I will hopefully manage by this time next year!

4. Bryan Weir September 20, 2018 / 10:04 am

I am just short of 70 years of age. I have high blood pressure and bad arthritis in both knees. Two years ago I went on the 5:2 fasting diet. I have lost two and a half stone and four inches from my waist. A knee replacement op has been postponed/cancelled for the time being and my BP is coming down. Apart from having to buy new troosers I feel much better.

• Michael Brown September 20, 2018 / 10:17 am

Well done you. Half ma wardrobe ended up in the charity shop.