methode_times_prod_web_bin_809a75d6-ca53-11e7-b529-95e3fc05f40f

(c) thetimes.co.uk

I stumbled over BBC Scotland’s Douglas Fraser’s, mean, grudging and dishonest report denying any credit to the Scottish Government at:

If you have a strong stomach you might want to read a line or two. I caught a glimpse and quickly turned away. I won’t give it space here. What actually happened was this:

‘Jobs at a troubled windfarm engineering firm facing collapse have been saved after Nicola Sturgeon unveiled a rescue package.  BiFab was facing the threat of administration with the loss of 1,400 jobs at yards in Fife and Lewis. The First Minister held talks with the firms in Edinburgh yesterday following a dispute which led to cash-flow problems. At the centre of it was an argument between the company and the Dutch-owned contractor, Seaway Heavy Lifting (SHL) over a payment. The agreement brokered by Sturgeon will see BiFab receiving payments to alleviate the firm’s “immediate cash flow issues”.’

Here’s what Unite Scotland secretary Pat Rafferty said after his meeting with the Scottish Government before the meeting with the companies involved:

‘I think we’ve had a good positive meeting with the Scottish Government today and a number of options we know are being explored. They are leaving no stone unturned and we are confident they are working alongside us and will continue working alongside us to try and get a resolution to this and try and protect these 1400 jobs in these three yards.’

His optimism was well-judged. I can imagine how GMS and Revolting Scotland will cover this but I’m trying not to.

10 thoughts on “Scottish Government Intervention ‘leaves no stone unturned’ and saves jobs at Fife wind-farm manufacturing firm BiFab

1. Sam November 19, 2017 / 1:47 pm

John, I suspect Revolting Scotland (Rubbishing Scotland?) GMS etc, will cover BiFab by virtually ignoring the story, pushing it down the pecking order. Giving the credit to Mundell. To some extent the propagandists at the BBC have made a rod for their own back by headlining the story.

• Alasdair Macdonald November 19, 2017 / 6:45 pm

I have read the full Douglas Fraser report. By my reading he covers the facts pretty thoroughly emphasising the complexity of the issue. There are one or two words or phrases, which could be taken to imply criticism or faint praise, but reading the whole piece, I think the SG comes out pretty well. There is no mention of the Scotland Office or of Mr Mundell.

2. johnrobertson834 November 19, 2017 / 10:16 pm

Alasdair:

He gives them no credit at all. Wasn’t that an important fact?

• Alasdair Macdonald November 20, 2017 / 9:06 pm

John,

I acknowledge your point. When I read your initial post, I was expecting something really bad, so I guess it was in that frame of mind that I read the piece and felt it wasn’t as bad as I had been expecting.

3. Willie Hogg November 19, 2017 / 11:51 pm

This is just the type of problem I envisage the SNIB would be ideally placed to solve.

4. Ludo Thierry November 20, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Hi John – gee whizz – how can we readers try to keep up with your extraordinary volume of output covering news that the MSM ignore ( supress?)??

Since this thread is concerned with saving an important Scottish company can I add a wee update on the Johnston Press saga (culled from Hold The Front Page today)? (see below):

Ager-Hanssen defends Salmond as Highfield warns of JP reader boycott
    by David Sharman Published 20 Nov 2017

The businessman behind a bid to overthrow the Johnston Press board has defended the company’s would-be chairman Alex Salmond over his links to a Russian news channel.

Christen Ager-Hanssen has hit out at current JP chief executive Ashley Highfield, who accused Mr Salmond of being “in bed with the Russians” and warned of a reader and advertiser boycott if the former First Minister of Scotland were to join the company’s board.

Ashley issued his warning in an interview with the Sunday Times, but in response Christen has repeated his assertion that “winter is coming” for the current JP board – a reference to popular fantasy TV series Game of Thrones.

Said Ashley: “The fact that Salmond seems to be in bed with the Russians would go against our belief in the editorial independence of our titles.

“We have had a number of readers and advertisers saying they would cancel their subscription or their business if Salmond went onto the board.”
    Christen is demanding the removal of JP chairman Camilla Rhodes and non-executive director Mike Butterworth and their replacement by former Mr Salmond and former Local World boss Steve Auckland.

JP said earlier this month that a requisition notice it received from his investment vehicle Custos Group, which called for an extraordinary general meeting, was “invalid”.
    In response to Ashley’s comments, Christen told HTFP: “Mr Salmond is a member of Her Majesty’s Privy Council and has run a country as First Minister of Scotland.

“All Mr Highfield has done is run down a fine company wiping out 90pc of shareholder value.

“Personal attacks will get Mr Highfield nowhere with already aggrieved shareholders who quite properly will decide the future of the company. For Mr Highfield, winter [is] coming.”

NOTE: Massively salaried ex-beeb man Ashley Highfield fails to explain what made the tens of thousands of previous loyal readers ‘boycott’ the Hootsmon over the period of Ashley’s own overlordship.

The more I hear of Mr. Age-Hanssen the more I like his ‘enigmatic’ style. Methinks old Ash might better spend his time packing his cases in anticipation of the clear-out!

Cheers, ludo