Scottish A&E Departments continue to significantly outperform those in England

index

In June 2017, Scottish A&E departments exceeded the 95% target, seeing 95.5% of patients within the 4-hour target. In July, it was 95.3%.

Direct comparisons with England are not straightforward but regardless, suggest significantly inferior performance during this period of Tory administration. In England A&E results are split into two types:

Type 1:  Emergency departments are a Consultant-led 24-hour service with full resuscitation facilities and designated accommodation for the reception of accident and emergency patients.

Type 2: Consultant-led mono specialty accident and emergency service (e.g. ophthalmology, dental) with designated accommodation for the reception of patients.

Now the figures for June and July were:

Type 1:            86.1%             85.5%

All                    90.7%              90.3%

Now, I feel sure all Scottish A&E departments recorded for the statistics are pretty much the same as Type 1 in England, with full resuscitation facilities, and that Type 2 is not really A&E in our terms. Surely the word ‘emergency’ implies full resuscitation will be available? The inclusion of Type 2 data serves only to improve the appearance of the overall figures. So, the Scottish system is probably performing a staggering 10% better than the English one.

I look forward to Ruth Davidson congratulating the SNP administration on their good management of NHS Scotland.

Do correct me if I have misunderstood anything here.

10 thoughts on “Scottish A&E Departments continue to significantly outperform those in England

1. TSD August 10, 2017 / 10:45 am

Is it OK if I print out your blogs to put them in Yes Forfar’s Blether-In Hub so that people can read them, please?

• TSD August 10, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Thanks!

• TSD August 10, 2017 / 1:46 pm

It’s all things positive about Scotland that isn’t reported by the MSM so that people who don’t have access to the internet can get the real facts. Thanks again. 🙂

• johnrobertson834 August 10, 2017 / 4:53 pm

You might find these three summaries useful if you have enough paper:

Time to reflect on all the good news for Scotland from the beginning of April only: Health

Time to reflect on all the good news for Scotland from the beginning of May only: Energy

Time to reflect on all the good news for Scotland, from the beginning of June only

You’ll need to search for them or scroll down to July 22 in the blog

2. johnrobertson834 August 10, 2017 / 10:58 am

There are 737 of them going back to 2014! You might want to be selective. If it’s NHS stuff you’re mainly interested in just search the blog for that or whatever else it is.

• TSD August 10, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Thanks, but I’ve haven’t blogged myself for a long while. Personal circumstances at the time. I keep thinking I should start again and maybe I will once I get over the initial hurdle of sad memories.

3. Brian McGowan August 11, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Thankyou for continuing to talk up Scotland. I still meet people with anecdotal evidence that our NHS is not up to scratch. I then throw a few stats at them – like those religiously reported by you – and watch their faces crumble. “You mean the Scottish NHS is best for A&E Waiting Times?” er, yes, for quite some time. “And we really have more doctors, nurses per head of pop than the other 3 countries?” Er, yes, that’s right. “I didn’t know that”.
    I end by telling them to look up the recent Nuffield Trust recommendations, I saw it here first.