On yer bike Professor!

8079764-3x2-700x467

© (ABC: Sophie Kesteven)

I have been cycling when I can and I used to cycle to the campus most days so I’m all for this chain of thought but I’m sticking with my two wheels. Here’s the gist of the Scottish Government scheme to get older folk rolling:

‘The Cycling Without Age movement began in Denmark and encourages volunteers to take older people for bike rides, using comfortable and safe trishaws. More than twenty million people have watched a film featuring Falkirk’s Cycling Without Age project since it was posted online as part of BBC Three’s Amazing Humans series.   A pilot project running in Falkirk is currently benefitting from £36,000 from the Scottish Government and the European Social Fund. However Social Security Minister Jeane Freeman has today confirmed additional support for similar projects across Scotland.’

I’ve yet to see such a thing in Ayr but I look forward to it. It reminds me that our former principal at UWs was a Rick Shaw!

Footnote: Typical Falkirk weather.

10 thoughts on “On yer bike Professor!

1. Contrary August 9, 2017 / 5:28 pm

You can’t make me cycle!

The last time I was in Falkirk, it was sleet, hailstones and torrential rain in April (2 years ago?), and I was standing outside holding a rope in frozen hands to keep a barge steady coming down the Falkirk Wheel, while lots of folks nice and warm in the tour boat looked out at us aghast. April I tell ye! Outrageous, April showers – okay, but SLEET?! Anyway, it was a really nice few days holiday along the Union Canal, and there was a few hours of sunshine even here and there. Just a wee bit soggy and cold at that last stretch.

• johnrobertson834 August 9, 2017 / 6:45 pm

When we moved from Falkirk to Ayr in October 2014, we had to dig out the summer clothes again.

• Contrary August 9, 2017 / 10:14 pm

Summer clothes? what are those?

The good thing about such a wet summer this year (rubs hands in anticipation) is that we should have a fantastic fungi season! Can’t wait for my hols!! 🙂

2. bedelsten August 9, 2017 / 6:15 pm

Ejer Baunehøj is the highest natural point in Denmark, 170.89 metres above sea level. The highest point in Scotland is somewhat higher. When I leave my house I have a choice of going uphill or downhill. While the former has the benefit of the latter when returning, the latter has the disadvantage of the former. The North Sea Cycle Route http://www.northsea-cycle.com/ passes along the street and, occasionally, cyclists pass by, often wet and bedraggled struggling to find a low enough gear to battle into a head-on gale and perhaps wishing they hadn’t bothered.

However, the Orkney Isles are ideal, providing the wind is blowing in the right direction. Perhaps an outpost in Kirkwall is needed – the main street is paved in anticipation.

3. johnrobertson834 August 9, 2017 / 6:45 pm

Good point. Is Falkirk really a good place to pilot this? Too many braes?

4. Contrary August 9, 2017 / 10:07 pm

Is there anywhere in Scotland flat enough to cycle?! I suppose canal paths and river paths, maybe somewhere up at Caithness? But cycle on the streets? Ugh. I have cycled quite happily, many years past, in Holland and its fine! I even went up their only hill (maybe 15m high?) and had no bother with with the traffic direction because the system is so well geared up for cyclists (I did have helpers too though). I am not keen on walking on cycle paths though, you get folks bombing along at 30mph on bicycles with no bells, they are a menace.

No wonder those cyclists are wet and bedraggled after cycling through the North Sea.

• Contrary August 9, 2017 / 10:19 pm

P.s. In principle, I think more cycling is a great thing.

5. John August 10, 2017 / 8:30 am

Try the route from Greenock straight through to Lunderson Bay , then have a picnic , not a hill in sight and beautiful scenery to boot .

• John August 11, 2017 / 10:15 am

If you ever do it take the coast road , you could even stop off at Gourock for a lovely cup of coffee or tea .