dolphins-jumping-out-of-the-water-wallpaper-1
(c) http://pcwallart.com

I keep finding ‘more’ of things when I search for good news of Scotland. That must be good. You know I’m finished attacking the MSM but they always seemed to find ‘less’. I wonder why?

Surveys record highest numbers of three dolphin species in Hebrides: SNP take credit

Here’s an excerpt from the report from the conservation charity, Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust, in its marine research expeditions in 2016:

‘From the trust’s specialized research yacht Silurian, volunteers and scientists recorded 2,303 individual common dolphins, 42 bottlenose dolphins and 94 Risso’s dolphins – the figures for all three species being the highest ever recorded in its annual survey seasons. Average annual figures documented over the previous 14 years were 463 individual common dolphins, 14 bottlenose dolphins and 12 Risso’s dolphins. For common dolphins, these records range from 0 individuals encountered in a couple of the earlier field seasons to 1,862 during the 2007 season.’

A short film about the surveys can be seen at https://youtu.be/M_3r-GKfh8o.

Suspecting, naturally, that SNP marine policies might be responsible, I did a quick ‘SNP dolphins’ search and found what looks like confirmation in:

Genome-Wide SNP and Population Divergence of Finless Porpoises at: https://academic.oup.com/gbe/article/5/4/758/589369/Genome-Wide-SNP-and-Population-Divergence-of

I’ve not had time to read the article but the title seems clear. I suppose another explanation might be a softening of the ‘Wee Free’ kirk’s disapproval of having fun in recent years? Or, could Donald Trump’s policies be driving them away from Florida to a country with a more positive attitude to migrants?

Royal Bank of Scotland offers a boost to Scottish small businesses growth

shark

(c) dailymail.co.uk

This is just what we always wanted them to do isn’t it? To put it mildly, they’ve been more prone to ripping-off and busting small businesses in the past but hey, maybe they’ve changed? It’s ‘entirely free.’ Here’s what they’re promising now:

‘The Boost programme will offer a digital source of support, and access to a team of Business Growth Enablers servicing every region of Scotland. Through a dedicated digital portal, small businesses can get access to valuable business insight and be connected to a team of 11 Business Growth Enablers operating across Scotland. Launched by Royal Bank of Scotland, Boost is a new initiative designed to help companies move forward by establishing the right connections between businesses and offering access to relevant experts and resources. Through a dedicated digital portal, small businesses can get access to valuable business insight and be connected to a team of 11 Business Growth Enablers operating across Scotland. The Business Growth Enablers will provide their local knowledge and networks, help businesses to connect with each other, provide hands-on expertise and training, and host regular workshops and events in their areas.’

I suppose the only question is ‘CAN WE TRUST THEM NOW?’

Child Poverty Bill published by Scottish government

Read below for the basic facts of the matter, free of Dugdale, Davidson and Rennie trying to tell us the SNP should have done this before even though their own parties have done nothing about it for decades (centuries?) and the English Tories are driving England back to the world of Dickens.

‘Ambition to end cycle of poverty.

For the first time since devolution, the Scottish Government will be responsible for meeting ambitious targets to reduce and ultimately end child poverty in Scotland.

The Child Poverty (Scotland) Bill has been published today and will see Scotland become the only part of the UK with statutory targets in a bid to reduce the number of children experiencing the damaging effects of poverty by 2030.

The government will publish a three-year child poverty delivery plan by April 2018, which will be updated every five years and annual reports to measure progress.

Equalities Secretary Angela Constance visited Fairy Job Mother, an innovative programme that helps 16-24 year olds into work, with 70% of those completing the programme finding employment, to mark the publication of the Bill.

Ms Constance said:

“It’s utterly unacceptable that one in five children in Scotland live in poverty and this Bill sets out statutory targets to reduce and ultimately eradicate child poverty.

“Child poverty has been a systemic problem for decades. Tackling the immense challenge is an ambition all of Scotland – be that national and local government, health boards, businesses, the third sector or others – must work together to overcome.”

I haven’t heard of any murders, rapes, child abuse or SNP failures for three days now. Is it safe to go outside? How’s this for lack of self-awarenesss?

‘The proportion of people who think crime has risen has seen a large increase, despite overall rates of crime falling, a survey suggests.’

12 thoughts on “SNP responsible for massive increase in dolphins! More help for small businesses from RBS but can we trust them? And now we have more devolution so now more responsibility to end child poverty in Scotland. Let’s do it

1. Sam February 11, 2017 / 10:02 am

I prefer head in a bucket of sand. Can’t hear or see any BBC products. Plus protects head from impact with the lamp posts that you can’t see either.

They don’t like competition (or the truth), http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-38936812

2. johnrobertson834 February 11, 2017 / 11:35 am

Yes you have to be well-paid to be trusted apparently like Andrew Neil? Citizen journalists are mostly amateurs. Where does that last word come from? What does it mean? Do the French have a word for it? I love it.

Thanks for the link.

BTW, ironically, new BBC history series ‘British History’s Biggest Fibs’ reveals fake news going way back among our elite communicators: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bs0hn

• Finnmacollie February 11, 2017 / 1:49 pm

I have watched that programme, the BBC (particularly BBC4) are capable of producing some good documentaries. As an aside – has anyone ever seen Lucy Worsley and William Hague in the same room at the same time?

I read the link supplied by Sam and can only say that BBC news has no sense of irony. I haven’t seen or heard Sputnik but will now check it out. If the BBC don’t like it then it could be worth reading.

Incidentally, before IndyRef1 I all but exhausted my Anglo-Saxon vocabulary screaming insanely at the news on BBC in particular and the press in general for the guff that was being promoted as fact. One item of news did catch my attention on Reporting Better Together about Strathclyde Transport having banned and advert on the underground for a website called Wings Over Scotland. I had never heard of it so I looked it up and the rest, they say, is history. So the BBC inadvertently directed me to all those Independence websites and I realised I was not alone.

• johnrobertson834 February 11, 2017 / 2:02 pm

We are not alone. I’m all the better for your company. Ironically I have complained about many of their other history progs. As for Lucy’s looks, I fancy her! As Bjork said kind of ‘her smile suggests exciting sex’.

• Clydebuilt February 11, 2017 / 2:06 pm

FM, Have you ever watched RT (Russian Television) Beats BBC hands down. In fact the Recovering Retd. Prof’s been on it.

Channel 512 on Sky,

3. Col February 11, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Sorry to burst the porpoise bubble there, but SNP in the context of that journal article means “Single Nucleotide Polymorphism”. It’s a genetic term, referring specifically to variation of a single DNA base in a gene within a species. Polymorphisms may or may not present a phenotype (an observable trait) and may or may not be based on variation of a single base, but generally refer to two or more different versions of a gene (these are known as alleles) which are maintained within a species without one becoming the “norm”. Readily identifiable human polymorphisms would include hair and eye colour.

Most of my lecturers at Glasgow Uni are careful now to pronounce it as “Sn’ps” to avoid any confusion, I have heard Americans and such refer to them as SNPs though which always makes me chuckle.

• johnrobertson834 February 11, 2017 / 2:30 pm

Oh no, I really thought it was the Scottish National Party. Duh!

4. Clydebuilt February 11, 2017 / 2:01 pm

From NO to YES

David Tenant has come out for Scottish Independence…….. a life long Labour supporter.

Last week it was Mike Daily Solicitor Advocate…..joined SNP. Another Labour man.

Before that Ewan MacGregor came out for Indy, Brexit final straw.

Things are moving on

Good News

• Contrary February 13, 2017 / 8:26 pm

Reading the abstract and introduction was enough for me, they are just demonstrating that SNP (not the SNP, note) looks like a handy tool for studying populations to determine ecology and conservation etc in wild animals, and they are using porpoises in China to prove it, but as I didn’t read the rest of the article I couldn’t say whether they did prove it. It could equally be used for Dundee populations I should imagine, maybe they could trial it there? It would be interesting to find out if there has been evolutionary divergence due to the SNP gene.